Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Baltimore, Maryland & Washington D.C.

A view from above!
Hello! Today’s post will be slightly different from most of my previous posts because it will be one about travel. Last year I got the chance to travel a lot with Americorps and my family. Two of the places I got to travel to, around this time last year, were Baltimore, Maryland and Washington D.C.

¡Hola! El post de hoy va ser un poco diferente de mis otros porque va ser sobre un viaje. El año pasado tuve la oportunidad de viajar mucho con Americorps y mi familia. Dos de los lugares que pude viajar a, por este tiempo el ano pasado, fue Baltimore, Maryland y Washington D.C.

Getting to travel has been one of my dreams and daydreams for years now. So when I found out I would get to visit two east coast cities with Americorps, I was filled with excitement! And fear! I had only been away from my family once before, when I went to Washington D.C. in middle school.

Poder viajar ha sido uno de mis sueños y fantasías por muchos años. En cuando supe que iba a poder visitar dos ciudades de la costa este con Americorps, me entusiasme! Y tuve miedo! Solo había viajado sin mi familia una vez antes, cuando fui a Washington D.C. en la escuela secundaria.

En route to Baltimore, Maryland

A clock tower outside the hotel.

Although, I have never felt afraid to fly, as soon as we got to the airport, I was filled with an inexplicable fear… I didn’t want to get on that plane! To calm down I just breathed slowly and thought about how plane crashes are less likely than car crashes. I also reminded myself, “Hey! You want this! You always say you want to travel. It would be ridiculous to turn around and go home now!” And a few nervous, anxious texts later, I was able to get on that plane.

Aunque, yo nunca me he sentido miedosa de volar, cuando llegamos al aeropuerto, me llene de miedo… ¡No me quería subir a ese avión! Para calmar me tuve que respirar despacio y pensar en cómo los accidentes de avión no pasan tan seguidos como los de autos. También me recordé a mi misma, “¡Tu quieres esto! Siempre dices que quieres viajar. ¡Seria ridículo ir patras a casa ahorita!” Y unos mensajes nervioso y ansiosos después, me pude subir al avión.

This was my favorite street art!
I really liked the colors and cutouts in this art work.
Another interesting art work.

Baltimore was beautiful, I loved getting to see all the snow on the streets! It was a different sight then I’m used to. And the cold was new too! I learned I had a few misconceptions about snow… First off, snowflakes aren’t big enough to see the designs on them. Second off, people don’t get into random snow fights on street corners or parks! So, this was definitely a learning experience.

Baltimore era hermoso, ¡me encanto poder ver toda la nieve en las calles! Era una vista diferente de lo que estoy acostumbrada. ¡Y el frío también fue nuevo! Aprendí que tenía unos malentendidos sobre la nieve… El primero era que, los copos de nieve no son tan grandes para poder ver los diseños. Segundo, ¡la gente no entran en batallas de nieve en cada esquina o parque! Esto fue una experiencia de aprendimiento.


I really liked looking at all the beautiful details on the boat.
A very cool boat!
A memorial.

Whenever we got breaks from the seminars I would go explore the city and loved seeing the street art. I also got to go on a tour and saw some monuments. What I loved about the tour was getting to learn about the history of Baltimore, although… I forgot most of it now. I wish I could remember some tid bits but it has been a year since I went.

Cuando agarramos descansos de los seminarios yo iba a explorar la ciudad y me encanto ver el arte en las calles. También tuve la oportunidad de ir a un recorrido y vi unos monumentos. Me gusto mucho aprender sobre la historia de Baltimore, aunque… Ya me olvide de casi todo. Me gustaría poder recordar más pero fue casi un año desde que fui.


I love how the snow looks on the streets!
Part of little Italy in Baltimore Maryland.

Washington D.C.


Part of the Senate building, it was so big I couldn't capture the whole thing!
After three days of seminars and conferences, we got a day to roam Washington D.C., the United States Capitol. I got to see the capitol and senate buildings. They are so beautiful and enormous. I felt like a little ant! We also visited the National Mall were we got to look at some of the monuments and museums. It was such a great experience to get to go to some of the places I had been to before about 10 years ago!

Despues de tres días de seminarios y conferencias, tuvimos un dia para visitar Washington D.C., la capital de los Estados Unidos. Pude ver el edificio capital y senate. Son tan bellos y enormes.  ¡Me sentía como una hormigita! También visitamos la Mall Nacional donde pude ver unos monumentos y museos. Fue una experiencia fabulosa poder ver unos lugares que no habia visto ¡desde 10 años!


Outside the Lincoln Memorial.
Inside the Lincoln Memorial.
The view form on top the Lincoln Memorial.

What I loved about the National Mall were the big white buildings. One of my favorite monuments was the Lincoln Memorial. Climbing up the steps and looking upon the reflection pool is awe inspiring.

Lo que me encanto de la Mall Nacional fueron los edificios  grandes y blancos. Uno de mis favoritos monumentos fue el Lincoln Memorial. Subiendo las escaleras y mirando la piscina de reflejo fue un momento inspirador.


Walking in the National Mall.
I was shocked to see birds walking on the snow!

By this point of the trip, although I loved getting to travel, I was ready to go home! I was feeling homesick and a bit lonely. Even though I was travelling with a group, most of my seminars and exploring was done alone. This is because you got to sign up for seminars you were interested in, which was great but did separate the group. I got to hear some amazing speakers and learn new things. All in all, I would do it all over again!

Ya en esta parte del viaje, aunque me encanto viajar, ¡ya estaba lista para regresar a casa! Me estaba sintiendo nostalgia y sola. Aunque estaba viajando con un grupo, casi todas mis seminarios y exploraciones fueron hechos solos. Esto es porque podías ir a los seminarios que te interesan, esto era bueno, pero tambien separo al grupo. Pude oír unos oradores fantásticos y aprendí muchas cosas nuevas. Después de todo, ¡lo hiciera otra vez¡

The museum even had an exhibit on my home town! Watsonville CA!
The Hope Diamond.
A picture I liked.
I love this statue!
Outside the train station, heading back to Baltimore, Maryland.
A close up of the lion statue.
Where have you travelled to? ¿Adonde has viajado?

Thank you for reading and commenting! ¡Gracias por leer y comentar!
Love,
Perla Sanchez

YouTube Polyvore/ Tumblr/ Instagram/ Pinterest @perlasancheza Twitter If you follow me on twitter, tweet me so I know to follow you back! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment